IR remote (lirc) freeze issue - please read

Linux support for Soundgraph iMON USB IR/VFD modules used in Ahanix, Silverstone, Uneed, Accent and other cases.

Moderator: Venky

Does the new driver make a difference?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:38 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 1

Venky

IR remote (lirc) freeze issue - please read

Post by Venky » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:26 pm

Finally got some time to look at the IR freeze issue. If your remote also freezes occassionally try this new version of lirc_imon.c and let me know how it works for you.

Also set the "gap" line in /etc/lircd.conf as follows:

Code: Select all

gap    0
Note that this is for the Multimedian and possibly RSC (stick) controllers/remotes only. The PAD remote is not affected by this patch and AFAIK does not exhibit the freezing behavior anyway.

Venky

WildSide

Post by WildSide » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:35 pm

Hi Venky,

i tested the modified driver, and it works... Good work! It never freezes. But the remote is a littlebit slow, but only some keys (i recognize it with the cursor keys). It's okay but not perfect.

WildSide

prmckinney

Works for me!

Post by prmckinney » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:04 pm

Venky,

I also tried out this fix and it works great... But I'm also seeing the "slow" keys. I my case it seems to be tied to the VFD activity. When I 1st startup lircd and run irw it recognized about 90% of my button presses. But if I start up LCDd it only recognizes about 50% of my button presses. It definately seems to be related to LCDd updating the display, because if I run it with "LCDd -i" so that is doesn't display anything by default the remote works fine until I kick off lcdproc. I see the same effect under mythtv. Any ideas?

BTW, I just wanted to thank you for all your great work on this driver. It is really nice to see you helping out people with a problem you did't even have.

Patrick

lucius

works for me also

Post by lucius » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:00 pm

SpikeyGG

Info on the slow buttons

Post by SpikeyGG » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:42 am

Hey Venky,

I also see what prmckinney noticed. When you run irw without LCDd loaded (or with LCDd -i) the remote respods very quickly to all presses. When the LCD is displaying stuff actively, the remote responds poorly, occasionally I'll need to press buttons twice to get it recognized.

I tried running mode2 with and without LCDd loaded and I noticed something strange. The very first "space" line I get has a huge number when LCDd is loaded and it looks normal when LCDd is not loaded. The big numbers are always there but it's not always the same big number... sometimes it's "space 600000", sometimes it's "space 1234000", sometimes it's "space 320000". It seems to always be bigger than 10000.

These are a couple trial runs I made to show you what I'm talking about:

# head with_LCDd
space 360000
pulse 9000
space 4000
pulse 500
space 500
pulse 750
space 1500
pulse 750
space 1500
pulse 500

# head without_LCDd
space 1000
pulse 8750
space 4500
pulse 500
space 500
pulse 750
space 1500
pulse 500
space 1750
pulse 500
I was hitting the left arrow to test it on both tries. Hope this helps.

Thanks again...
-Greg

Venky

Post by Venky » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:58 am

Patrick, Greg:
I think we discussed this before, but does reducing the LCDd refresh rate help? BTW on both my test systems LCDd is operating at the normal rate and does not appear to influence the IR aspect.

Venky

prmckinney

Post by prmckinney » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:43 pm

Venky,
So I tried setting DelayMult (per another thread) equal to 2, 4, and 128 with no change in the behavior. But I was looking through the LCDprod code and I don't think this parameter is implemented in the iMon driver? If I grep -i for DelayMult the only place it occurs is in hd44780 driver.

I tried adding a pause myself to the imon_draw_frame subroutine, but I couldn't figure out how to add a pause between every character and still have it display correctly.

Patrick

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:38 am

ok.. i should have read this thread 3 hours ago..
ill try the new lirc_imon.c.
Just so that you know, im using a multimedian receiver without the vfd, and am experiencing total freez after some keypresses.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:04 am

Anonymous wrote:ok.. i should have read this thread 3 hours ago..
Just so that you know, im using a multimedian receiver without the vfd, and am experiencing total freez after some keypresses.
Ok this worked fine.. great thanks venky

regards
nilsn

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:38 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:ok.. i should have read this thread 3 hours ago..
Ok this worked fine.. great thanks venky

regards
nilsn
Now i have tried this for a while, and i have to say that the responsiveness is terrible, im back to using my old serial ir reciever, which is much much better/faster. I dont know why this is so, but i really would like to know why..
Anyhow thanks alot for your work so far venky!
Regards
nilsn

Pete

Re: IR remote (lirc) freeze issue

Post by Pete » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:14 am

Venky wrote:Finally got some time to look at the IR freeze issue. If your remote also freezes occassionally try this new version of lirc_imon.c and let me know how it works for you.

gap    0
Note that this is for the Multimedian and possibly RSC (stick) controllers/remotes only. The PAD remote is not affected by this patch and AFAIK does not exhibit the freezing behavior anyway.

Venky
This has certainly improved the behaviour for me - at a first glance, it may have fixed it but I have only just quickly run through the buttons on the remote.

Thanks very much for your work, Venky :D

hallm4

Re: IR remote (lirc) freeze issue - please read

Post by hallm4 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:40 pm

Venky wrote:Finally got some time to look at the IR freeze issue. If your remote also freezes occassionally try this new version of lirc_imon.c and let me know how it works for you.

gap    0

Venky
Heck, I'm still getting this issue with 0.8.1 .... I'll try the gap fix. Should this have been fixed as of 0.8.1? Can you offer help/a patch to that version if it's not?