patch to make the imon PAD generate mouse events

Linux support for Soundgraph iMON USB IR/VFD modules used in Ahanix, Silverstone, Uneed, Accent and other cases.

Moderator: Venky

michaelb

Post by michaelb » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:26 pm

Hi,

please verify that you use the correct lircd.conf. The unpatched
version lirc-0.8.0/remotes/lircd.conf.imon-pad does not contain
the power button. The pad2keys patch adds the missing keys.

Regards.

hayabusajerry

Post by hayabusajerry » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:37 pm

I do have the correct lircd.conf from http://brakemeier.de/ having used the pad2keys patch.

Could this problem be caused by not having the kcompat.h patch for the 2.6.16.1 kernel?

cheers

Jerry

michaelb

Post by michaelb » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:52 pm

No. If it compiles after you have removed the .owner... line
in struct usb_driver everything should be fine.

Try adding a #define DEBUG 1 to lirc_imon.c. You should
find a hexdump of the received code for each keypress in
your syslog.

Regards.

hayabusajerry

Post by hayabusajerry » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:32 am

I gave it a go; I put #define DEBUG 1 at the begining of lirc_imon but it seemed to make no change at all. I tail -f'd messages but saw nothing at all even from the keypresses that work in irw???? So something must be very wrong.

Just found out that I do get codes out of it if I run Mode2 - does that help?

SiliconFiend

Post by SiliconFiend » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:00 am

I posted the latest mouse/keyboard patch as well as my lircd.conf and lircrc files here:
http://vorticon.no-ip.info/pub/patches
I can't guarantee the availability of that web server. It's generally up 24/7, but...

hayabusajerry, it sounds like you need the right lircd.conf. Try mine and see if it solves your problem.

michaelb

Post by michaelb » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:35 am

hayabusajerry wrote:I gave it a go; I put #define DEBUG 1 at the begining of lirc_imon but it seemed to make no change at all. I tail -f'd messages but saw nothing at all even from the keypresses that work in irw???? So something must be very wrong.

Just found out that I do get codes out of it if I run Mode2 - does that help?
The DEBUG stuff, power button, ... is in no way related to both
variants of the patch, it is the normal functionality of the unpatched
driver. With DEBUG enabled, you should see the "raw" codes for
all keypresses in your syslog. If they don't show up, there is
something wrong, especially if mode2 shows some codes... . Please
verify that you really have installed and loaded the correct
lirc_imon module.

hayabusajerry

Post by hayabusajerry » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:49 am

I actually seem to be getting there. I used mode2 to see what the codes where that where being transmitted, and although they seemed far from constant I used them in my lirc.conf and am now getting some, if erratic, out put in irw and some very slow and unpredictable menu movement in MythTv. I will try again tomorrow night

I have a feeling that the remote supplied with my Silverstone LC16m may have changed the codes for the pad - I suppose it is unlikely but hey they codes that other people are using dont seem to work... :-(

Thanks for the help so far..........

Jerry

michaelb

Post by michaelb » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:09 am

Erratic, non-constant codes? The pad encodes the "movement"
in the codes, so this is perfectly normal for the unpatched
driver or the mouse-and-keys patch in mouse context... .

LC14m, current production, mode2 output for the pad:

unpatched driver

Code: Select all

code: 0x6902b9b7
code: 0x6902c9b7
code: 0x6902c9b7
code: 0x6b3ab1b7
code: 0x6b5ac9b7
code: 0x6aba81b7
patched driver, key mode

Code: Select all

code: 0x688291b7
code: 0x690281b7
code: 0x690281b7
code: 0x688a81b7
code: 0x688a81b7
code: 0x6a8281b7
code: 0x6a8281b7
Regards.

hayabusajerry

Post by hayabusajerry » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:24 am

What do those codes correspond to, obviously the pad but, which is which and why are there 6 of the unpatched and 7 of the patched?

Jerry

michaelb

Post by michaelb » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:18 am

The unpatched driver rapidly generates a lot of such non-
constant codes, these are simply 6 lines out of 30-40
generated in a few secondes for Mouse_N and _W (AFAIR).

The patched driver generates _constant_ codes for
Up, Left, Down and Right pad keys. One "click" Mouse_S,
holding Mouse_N for two "clicks", two east, two west... .

Without these constant codes, without the patch the pad
is unusable to generate key events.

Regards.

hayabusajerry

Post by hayabusajerry » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:39 pm

I don't know why but the codes I captured using mode2 seem to work the best (they were not completely inconsistant 7/10 the same) they are differant to the ones published here but now I have messed with the repeat and delay settings, don't seem to be bad.

Thanks for all your help on this. Now I will move on to the next issue, the LCDd not running....

Cheers Jerry

phillip.griffith

ubuntu imon vfd crazy

Post by phillip.griffith » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:01 pm

hello all i have been messing around with this for a while and actually had it working ONCE. i am not a full blown newbie but i need help. what i have is the Silverstone LC16M case with the imon VFD ir package. i am running Ubuntu badger 5.10 kernel 2.6.12-9-386. it is all put together on as Asus nforce4 mb for the intel p4. i have tryed the instructions on venkys imon page and can get feed back by running mode2. IRW returns nada. i checked my lircd.conf it looks right. the LCDd i cant seem to get started either. i guess what i am asking for is where do i go from here??? i have not patched anything from this forum yet. and am kinda unsure how to apply that. thanks for any help you can give.
Last edited by phillip.griffith on Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
griff

SiliconFiend

Post by SiliconFiend » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:48 am

A couple ideas:
1. Since mode2 is working you seem to have the module loaded.
2. Are you sure lircd is running with all the right parameters?
3. You could try using my lircd.conf: http://vorticon.no-ip.info/pub/patches/lircd.conf
4. LCDd won't work until you compile it with imon support. I've heard rumors that lcdproc 0.5 has native support; otherwise you'll have to use venky's patch or try mine at http://vorticon.no-ip.info/pub/patches/ ... imon.patch.
Maybe if you had a little more specific request we might be able to better help you.

phillip.griffith

update to ubuntu crazy

Post by phillip.griffith » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:48 pm

well i finally got it working with help from here and abarbaccia. not sure if i had it working before but now i have it loading at boot and irw give the coreect key mappings. i kinda tricked it by downloadind and compiling the latest lirc from cvs. then installed the ubuntu lirc deb. copied my modules to the /lib/modules/2.6.12-10-amd64-generic/misc directory. then i added the lines in my /etc/modprobe.d/aliases file "alias char-major-61 lirc_dev" and "alias char-major-61 lirc_imon". added lirc_dev lirc_imon to my /etc/modules file. thanks for the lircd.conf do you possibly have the lircmd.conf?? if that is the right file to make the mouse pad work?? thanks again siliconfiend!!
griff

SiliconFiend

Re: update to ubuntu crazy

Post by SiliconFiend » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:07 pm

phillip.griffith wrote:well i finally got it working with help from here and abarbaccia. not sure if i had it working before but now i have it loading at boot and irw give the coreect key mappings. i kinda tricked it by downloadind and compiling the latest lirc from cvs. then installed the ubuntu lirc deb. copied my modules to the /lib/modules/2.6.12-10-amd64-generic/misc directory. then i added the lines in my /etc/modprobe.d/aliases file "alias char-major-61 lirc_dev" and "alias char-major-61 lirc_imon". added lirc_dev lirc_imon to my /etc/modules file. thanks for the lircd.conf do you possibly have the lircmd.conf?? if that is the right file to make the mouse pad work?? thanks again siliconfiend!!
You don't need to use lircmd. The lirc imon pad patch in this thread (the most recent is on my server I listed in my last post) is superior because it uses the pressure-sensitive features of the pad to have variable mouse speed. All you have to do is press the mouse/keyboard button to toggle the pad between mouse and keyboard. (It only works if you have a lirc client connected). Using lircmd would make it only a single speed, go/stop.