Compile standalone on Gentoo with 2.6.18 sources & heade

Linux support for Soundgraph iMON USB IR/VFD modules used in Ahanix, Silverstone, Uneed, Accent and other cases.

Moderator: Venky

gcasillo

Compile standalone on Gentoo with 2.6.18 sources & heade

Post by gcasillo » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:56 am

Posted this on the Gentoo forums hoping for some help in getting the standlone imon vfd driver found here to compile on my Gentoo box running the latest gentoo-sources and linux-headers. 2.6.18. I'm getting this:

Code: Select all

look ~ # tar zxvf imon_vfd.tgz 
 imon/ 
 imon/Makefile 
 imon/imon_vfd.c 
 look ~ # cd imon 
 look imon # ls 
 Makefile  imon_vfd.c 
 look imon # make -C /usr/src/linux SUBDIRS=$PWD modules 
 make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-gentoo-r3' 
   CC [M]  /root/imon/imon_vfd.o 
 /root/imon/imon_vfd.c:43:35: error: linux/devfs_fs_kernel.h: No such file or directory 
 /root/imon/imon_vfd.c:147: error: unknown field 'owner' specified in initializer 
 /root/imon/imon_vfd.c:147: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type 
 /root/imon/imon_vfd.c:162: error: unknown field 'mode' specified in initializer 
 make[1]: *** [/root/imon/imon_vfd.o] Error 1 
 make: *** [_module_/root/imon] Error 2 
 make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-gentoo-r3'

SiliconFiend

Post by SiliconFiend » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:15 am

I believe there were some changes to the USB subsystem in recent kernels that removed the .owner field at least, and maybe the .mode as well. Also, Gentoo officially only supports udev now, so devfs should go away. That means you should comment out the line including the devfs header. Try commenting out those three lines (the ones referencing .owner, .mode and the devfs header) and see if it will compile.