Suse 10.1 +myth .19 +silverstone +LC16M - Help!? WORKS NOW!!

Linux support for Soundgraph iMON USB IR/VFD modules used in Ahanix, Silverstone, Uneed, Accent and other cases.

Moderator: Venky

tivo1

Suse 10.1 +myth .19 +silverstone +LC16M - Help!? WORKS NOW!!

Post by tivo1 » Tue May 30, 2006 2:19 pm

I have the above setup...

Seems i have everything working outside of Myth, but I can not seem to get the LCD nor the remote to work...

Latest stable version of LIRC, and LCD

I enabled it in mythsetup for the LCD...

but something is afoot!
Last edited by tivo1 on Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tivo1

Post by tivo1 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:34 am

well i got it working but pressing the down arrow is slow... like if i press it, it will change, but then i have to wait like 20 seconds before i press it again, in order for it to go to the next menu item... any ideas on this?

Fredo0709

hey

Post by Fredo0709 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:50 am

Hi, I have a Silverstone LC-11M with the remote and I finally got it setup and working with MythTV. The remote is strange and I'm not able to use the D-pad. Even when I run irw, the D-pad doesn't really respond. What's strange is that the Down part of the D-pad "sometimes" responds and it's output shows up on the screen in irw but definitely not in MythTV.

Anyways, the VFD still isn't working yet and I'm not sure what the problem is. I can start the LCDd service but it loads up right into a lcdproc server screen on my TV, not in /dev/lcd0.

Back to your question, if the response of the buttons are slow, did you try taking a look at some sample lircd.conf files and see what they have set up for gap length and toggle bits? Maybe someone else who knows better can elaborate. I'm a newbie myself but I saw that what I got with irrecord and what other people's sample lircd.conf files didn't match up. I used theirs and the response in irw was much better with the exception of the D-pad.

SiliconFiend

Re: hey

Post by SiliconFiend » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:44 pm

Fredo0709 wrote:Hi, I have a Silverstone LC-11M with the remote and I finally got it setup and working with MythTV. The remote is strange and I'm not able to use the D-pad. Even when I run irw, the D-pad doesn't really respond. What's strange is that the Down part of the D-pad "sometimes" responds and it's output shows up on the screen in irw but definitely not in MythTV.
The pad is pressure-sensitive and has fine-grained x and y deltas (because it's intended to work as a mouse too) thus the codes it generates are not always the same. Look through the LONG previous post about the mouse/keyboard patch or you can use the latest one (and lircd.conf and lircrc) here: http://vorticon.no-ip.info/pub/patches/ (Note: the original author, DataPath, is working on a user-mode driver to replace this). That patch does the mouse/keyboard switching inside the driver, and in keyboard mode it "funnels" the x and y deltas into strict up/down/left/right codes. Just apply the patch to the imon driver file in lirc and rebuild.
Fredo0709 wrote:Anyways, the VFD still isn't working yet and I'm not sure what the problem is. I can start the LCDd service but it loads up right into a lcdproc server screen on my TV, not in /dev/lcd0.
Can you output text to the LCD using echo? i.e.:

Code: Select all

echo "Test" > /dev/lcd0
If not, is your LCDd built with imon support? Does your /etc/LCDd.conf have "Driver=imon" in it?
Fredo0709 wrote:Back to your question, if the response of the buttons are slow, did you try taking a look at some sample lircd.conf files and see what they have set up for gap length and toggle bits? Maybe someone else who knows better can elaborate. I'm a newbie myself but I saw that what I got with irrecord and what other people's sample lircd.conf files didn't match up. I used theirs and the response in irw was much better with the exception of the D-pad.
You probably don't need to mess with the gap length and toggle bits because the iMon receiver does the decoding onboard. Try the files I linked to above and see if you have better luck.

Fredo0709

Thanks!

Post by Fredo0709 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:39 pm

Thanks SiliconFiend... It never occurred to me that the pad would generate different IR codes for different sensitivities but that makes complete sense. I'll read through the post again and see if I can pick up anything I've missed. I am currently using the latest lircd.conf and lircrc files.

On the VFD front... yes, I am able to echo out to the LCD screen. I had to uncomment the "Driver=imon" section of the LCDd.conf file so I believe that the LCDd.conf file is correct. I'll double check to see if the LCDd was built with imon support. But could you refresh my memory as to how to do that? I'm still pretty much a linux newbie and I suspect it's something to do with make and make install?

Again, thanks for your reply!

SiliconFiend

Re: Thanks!

Post by SiliconFiend » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:17 pm

Fredo0709 wrote:Thanks SiliconFiend... It never occurred to me that the pad would generate different IR codes for different sensitivities but that makes complete sense. I'll read through the post again and see if I can pick up anything I've missed. I am currently using the latest lircd.conf and lircrc files.
Okay, you should be set with that.
Fredo0709 wrote:On the VFD front... yes, I am able to echo out to the LCD screen. I had to uncomment the "Driver=imon" section of the LCDd.conf file so I believe that the LCDd.conf file is correct. I'll double check to see if the LCDd was built with imon support. But could you refresh my memory as to how to do that? I'm still pretty much a linux newbie and I suspect it's something to do with make and make install?

Again, thanks for your reply!
Well, first make sure you're either using lcdproc 0.4.5 with Venky's patch from the project page, or use lcdproc 0.5.0 (but then you'll need to patch MythTV). I'm sorry I'm not great with specific compilation directions because I use Gentoo so I just set my USE flags and the correct configure flags are passed onto the installer automagically. However, looking at the ebuild for lcdproc 0.4.5, it looks like you need to run

./configure --enable-drivers=imon
then make and make install. And of course you already have your "Driver=imon" line in your LCDd.conf. BTW, you only need to run LCDd for Myth to use the VFD; lcdproc is superfluous.

Hope that helps!

tivo1

Post by tivo1 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:46 am

Thanks, I think i tried another patch from somewhere, and had no luck.. Do you know what the proper Patch command is for the lirc driver file?
SiliconFiend wrote:
Fredo0709 wrote:Hi, I have a Silverstone LC-11M with the remote and I finally got it setup and working with MythTV. The remote is strange and I'm not able to use the D-pad. Even when I run irw, the D-pad doesn't really respond. What's strange is that the Down part of the D-pad "sometimes" responds and it's output shows up on the screen in irw but definitely not in MythTV.
The pad is pressure-sensitive and has fine-grained x and y deltas (because it's intended to work as a mouse too) thus the codes it generates are not always the same. Look through the LONG previous post about the mouse/keyboard patch or you can use the latest one (and lircd.conf and lircrc) here: http://vorticon.no-ip.info/pub/patches/ (Note: the original author, DataPath, is working on a user-mode driver to replace this). That patch does the mouse/keyboard switching inside the driver, and in keyboard mode it "funnels" the x and y deltas into strict up/down/left/right codes. Just apply the patch to the imon driver file in lirc and rebuild.
Fredo0709 wrote:Anyways, the VFD still isn't working yet and I'm not sure what the problem is. I can start the LCDd service but it loads up right into a lcdproc server screen on my TV, not in /dev/lcd0.
Can you output text to the LCD using echo? i.e.:

echo "Test" > /dev/lcd0
If not, is your LCDd built with imon support? Does your /etc/LCDd.conf have "Driver=imon" in it?
Fredo0709 wrote:Back to your question, if the response of the buttons are slow, did you try taking a look at some sample lircd.conf files and see what they have set up for gap length and toggle bits? Maybe someone else who knows better can elaborate. I'm a newbie myself but I saw that what I got with irrecord and what other people's sample lircd.conf files didn't match up. I used theirs and the response in irw was much better with the exception of the D-pad.
You probably don't need to mess with the gap length and toggle bits because the iMon receiver does the decoding onboard. Try the files I linked to above and see if you have better luck.

SiliconFiend

Post by SiliconFiend » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:50 pm

tivo1 wrote:Thanks, I think i tried another patch from somewhere, and had no luck.. Do you know what the proper Patch command is for the lirc driver file?
It depends where you are in the directory structure. If you use the patch from my server here, then just copy it into the parent directory one level above where you have the lirc source unpacked (that is, if you do a ls you'll see two items, the patch file and the lirc-0.8.0 source directory). Then issue the following command from that directory:

patch -p0 < lirc-0.8.0-imon-keys-kernel.patch
Alternately, if you have the patch in the same directory as the lirc_imon.c file, use the following patch command:

patch -p3 < lirc-0.8.0-imon-keys-kernel.patch
The number after the p flag tells the patch command how many directory levels to strip off the path in the patch file.

tivo1

still haveing issues

Post by tivo1 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:29 pm

So this is what happens after i patch the lirc_imon.c file, and run the make command... any ideas?

home/mythtv/remote/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_imon/lirc_imon.c:224: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/home/mythtv/remote/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_imon/lirc_imon.c: In function ‘vfd_write’:
/home/mythtv/remote/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_imon/lirc_imon.c:505: warning: ignoring return value of ‘copy_from_user’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
make[8]: *** [/home/mythtv/remote/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_imon/lirc_imon.o] Error 1
make[7]: *** [_module_/home/mythtv/remote/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_imon] Error 2
make[6]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[5]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[5]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16.13-4-obj/i386/smp'
make[4]: *** [lirc_imon.o] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/mythtv/remote/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_imon'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/mythtv/remote/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_imon'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mythtv/remote/lirc-0.8.0/drivers'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mythtv/remote/lirc-0.8.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Myth:/home/mythtv/remote/lirc-0.8.0 #

SiliconFiend

Re: still haveing issues

Post by SiliconFiend » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:08 am

tivo1 wrote:So this is what happens after i patch the lirc_imon.c file, and run the make command... any ideas?
<snip>
Did you run ./configure first and select the imon pad driver (under USB devices), then save configuration and run configure? I have the LC11 case, but it looks like the LC16 has the same pad-type remote. Also, make sure you are running make from the main lirc source directory. It looks like you are, just making sure. One other thing--what kernel are you using? I'm using 2.6.15, but I believe with the patch I added it should be good for 2.6.16 and probably 2.6.17 as well.

I use Gentoo so everything compiles and installs automatically, but when I compiled the source manually after patching (using ./configure then make) it worked fine. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.

tivo1

looks like i missed a line...

Post by tivo1 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:46 am

/home/mythtv/remote/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_imon/lirc_imon.c:224: error: unknown field ‘owner’ specified in initializer

tivo1

Post by tivo1 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:54 am

oopa.. definately using the imon pad driver, in configure

tivo1

well.... ok getting there slowly

Post by tivo1 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:20 pm

Looks like im getting there, got the driver installed and everything.. but myth wont respond think i have lircrc and lircd.conf in the right places.. .

when i exit mythfrontend i get this:

2006-07-01 17:04:39.232 Switching to square mode (Titivillus)
mythtv: could not connect to socket
mythtv: No such file or directory
lirc_init failed for mythtv, see preceding messages

I've googled and found a lot of people with the same problem, but no definate answers.. saw something about permissions but that didnt seem to work... maybe i did that part wrong...

tivo1

Post by tivo1 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:12 pm

HEHE...

got it.. so i think.. remote works.. just need to tweek the buttons a bit more now...

Anyway

something to check...

ls -la /usr/sbin/lircd
ls -la /usr/local/sbin/lircd

I had to cp /usr/local/sbin/lircd /usr/sbin/lircd

Andre_the_Baron

LC16M lirc_imon make error 224 - how did you solve it ?

Post by Andre_the_Baron » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:18 pm

Hi

I have an LC16M. I get the same error, even after patching the lirc_imon.c file. How did you solve your problem ? PS: I tried both the imon and imon pad drivers - same error

Any help is much appreciated.

/home/mythtv/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_imon/lirc_imon.c:224: error: unknown field ‘owner’ specified in initializer
/home/mythtv/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_imon/lirc_imon.c:224: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
make[7]: *** [/home/mythtv/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_imon/lirc_imon.o] Error 1
make[6]: *** [_module_/home/mythtv/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_imon] Error 2
make[5]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[4]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16.21-0.25-obj/x86_64/default'
make[3]: *** [lirc_imon.o] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/mythtv/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_imon'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mythtv/lirc-0.8.0/drivers'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mythtv/lirc-0.8.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2
mbox:/home/mythtv/lirc-0.8.0 # make install
Making install in drivers
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/mythtv/lirc-0.8.0/drivers'
Making install in lirc_dev
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/mythtv/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/mythtv/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev'
test -c /dev/lirc || (/bin/sh ../../mkinstalldirs /dev && /bin/mknod /dev/lirc c 61 0)
/bin/sh ../../mkinstalldirs /lib/modules/2.6.16.21-0.25-default/misc
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 lirc_dev.ko /lib/modules/2.6.16.21-0.25-default/misc/lirc_dev.ko
/sbin/depmod -a
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/mythtv/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mythtv/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_dev'
Making install in lirc_imon
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/mythtv/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_imon'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mythtv/lirc-0.8.0/drivers/lirc_imon'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mythtv/lirc-0.8.0/drivers'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
mbox:/home/mythtv/lirc-0.8.0 #