Lcdproc and mythlcdserver

Linux support for Soundgraph iMON USB IR/VFD modules used in Ahanix, Silverstone, Uneed, Accent and other cases.

Moderator: Venky

hayabusajerry

Lcdproc and mythlcdserver

Post by hayabusajerry » Tue May 02, 2006 4:26 am

Has anyone got output from MythTV to work with imon and mythlcdserver?

If so, how is it supposed to work?

I have imon/LCDd/lcdproc working in so much as it displays the time nicely, but that is outside Myth, and I would realy like to get the features that Myth is supposed to offer to work.

Cheers

(hopefully)

Jerry

escay

Post by escay » Tue May 02, 2006 11:56 am

If Lcdproc is working you have to enable the lcd in the frontend configuration.
As shortly described on http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mythlcdserver

It works fine for me.

fromans4

Post by fromans4 » Tue May 02, 2006 3:17 pm

I had this working in MythTV when I was using the imon drivers via LIRC. I have since switched to using the stand-alone imon_vfd driver and now I am experiencing the same problem. I can get the LCD display to display time, cpu, volume stats,..., or any other normal lcdproc info, but I can't get any output from MythTV. I have my MythTV frontend configured to use the lcd, but when MythTV starts, the LCD goes blank except for a blinking cursor in the upper right-hand corner. When I exit MythTV the display goes back to normal.

I also noted that if I start Mythfrontend in a terminal session the output it posts says that its trying to communicate to a port other then 13666? I have not found where this can be changed. I'm wondering if there is some config file somewhere that simply needs to be edited or a path that needs to be changed. This seems like it could be a minor communication problem.

I'll let you know if I figure it out. :)

Brent

hayabusajerry

Post by hayabusajerry » Tue May 02, 2006 8:34 pm

escay

I should have said that I have enabled it in MythTV.

Brent,

That sounds exactly the issue I am having. The only thing I can add to it is that if you start mythlcdserver from the shell it gives errors about the widgets and that LCDd does not understand what it is being sent. Also is mythlcdserver a replacement for the lcdproc client program?(obviously LCDd server has to run) ?

Cheers

Jerry

fromans4

Post by fromans4 » Tue May 02, 2006 11:09 pm

When I had it working in the past it was not a replacement for lcdproc, in fact it suposedly works via lcdproc, as I understand it.

Its posible though, that MythTV may have changed the way it communicates. Maybe lcdproc is no longer needed. If so, this change has not been very well documented.

Brent

escay

Post by escay » Tue May 02, 2006 11:10 pm

I had it working standalone on Fedora Core4 and Mythtv 0.18, I used the description from http://venky.ws/projects/imon/#standalone together with lcdproc 0.45.

I see that the new lcdproc released 2 weeks ago contains the imon driver... maybe that helps?

Mythtv uses lcdproc to control the display information.

hayabusajerry

Post by hayabusajerry » Wed May 03, 2006 7:11 am

Having checked, the screen output doesn't seem to change with or without lcdproc - wierd (LCDd is running)

So now I dont know what to try, any ideas welcome :-)

Jerry

SiliconFiend

Post by SiliconFiend » Wed May 03, 2006 8:50 am

Mythtv 0.19 uses the lcdproc package, but it only needs the server LCDd running. lcdproc is a client of LCDd which can display the time and various machine statistics. mythlcdserver is also a client of LCDd (which displays the time when it's idle, by the way). You don't need to start mythlcdserver directly. It is started by mythwelcome or (I think) by mythfrontend.

To clarify, you need either venky's lirc driver or the standalone VFD device driver as well as the device support in lcdproc. I see that lcdproc 0.5 has the imon driver included. However, mythtv 0.19 as released is not compatible with lcdproc 0.5 (see http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1707). So either apply the trivial patch in that url to mythtv or use venky's patched lcdproc 0.4.5 download.

fromans4

Post by fromans4 » Wed May 03, 2006 9:36 am

I checked the frontend log file and found that Myth was attempting to talk to the LCD server on port 6545, which is not the port LCDd is using? LCDd defaults to port 13666. Does anyone know if these parameters are controllable in MythTV? And if so, where?

BTW - I am using FC4, MythTV .19, patched lcdproc v4.5, and the stand-alone imon_vfd driver. I have tried MythTV with and without lcdproc running and I have run Mythfrontend as my normal mythtv user as well as root and I always get the same results.

Brent

SiliconFiend

Post by SiliconFiend » Wed May 03, 2006 4:27 pm

Port 6545 is the port that mythlcdserver uses (i.e., the port that mythfrontend and mythbackend use to communicate to mythlcdserver), which I believe turns around and talks to LCDd on port 13666. That is how my system works, anyway. Check open ports by

Code: Select all

netstat -tpea | grep "LISTEN"
You might check your configuration using mythtv-setup. I don't remember if there's anything about the LCD in there, but it's worth looking. Also just poke around all the various, confusing setup menus in mythfrontend for anything LCD-related.

hayabusajerry

Post by hayabusajerry » Wed May 03, 2006 5:32 pm

I am using FC5, MythTV 0.19 and lcdproc v5.

I had heard about the trivial patch and had recompiled lcdproc. I think a recent mythtv update overwrote my compiled version of mythlcdserver. So I recopied over the rpm version of it and I am now getting somwhere - I think.... I get a nicely formatted "7:45AM" in the screen center and the heartbeat in the top right. I am still not getting the program information or cd titles, but at the moment my tv tuning has gone to pot so I am going to have to sort that out.

The other thing is that I cannot get LCDd and lcdproc to start using their init scripts on boot. If I run the init scripts manually after boot they are fine, so another little nusence to sort out.

Jerry

SiliconFiend

Post by SiliconFiend » Thu May 04, 2006 8:13 am

Jerry,

The patch is for MythTV, not for lcdproc. I don't know if the RPMs have LCD support compiled in, but they certainly wouldn't have the trivial patch (not until 0.19.1 comes out anyway). So you'll need to recompile mythtv (and maybe all the plugins you use, too).

If you're running lcdproc then you're probably seeing the time from that, not from MythTV. Like I said, you probably don't need to run lcdproc, only LCDd, because MythTV will show the time when it's idle. Plus that way you'll really know if MythTV is using the LCD or not.

As far as init scripts on FC5.... I use Gentoo, and it all works automagically using "rc-update add LCDd default". But I found this snippet that you could try on FC5: "chkconfig --level 345 LCDd on" It looks like that will run LCDd in runlevels 3, 4 and 5. You might want to trim that down to only your default runlevel for MythTV, though.

hayabusajerry

Post by hayabusajerry » Thu May 04, 2006 7:19 pm

My typo; it was mythlcdserver that I patched, and it is definately mythlcdserver that I am getting the time out of - now. I still don't seem to get anything else though, no channel, recording or playback info.

As for the init scripts - driving me nuts, I have used "chkconfig --level 345 LCDd on" and they still don't work during boot, but still spring happily into life if I do it manually (/etc/init.d/LCDd start).

It does seem that a lot of MythTv is "almost there" but not quite. But at least better than MS MCE which is completely crap and featurless.

Oh well a challenge is good for me :-)

Jerry

fromans4

Post by fromans4 » Thu May 04, 2006 8:52 pm

Like I said in a previous post, I am running on FC4, and I got LCDd to start on boot-up by adding it to my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file. Maybe that will work for you too.

I am using a MythTV v.19 package via ATRPMS and I think version .19 broke the lcd server. It was working in version .18. I have been told version .19.1 is due to release soon. I hope it fixes this issue.

Brent

FSRGuy

Post by FSRGuy » Fri May 19, 2006 3:03 pm

SiliconFiend wrote: The patch is for MythTV, not for lcdproc. I don't know if the RPMs have LCD support compiled in, but they certainly wouldn't have the trivial patch (not until 0.19.1 comes out anyway). So you'll need to recompile mythtv (and maybe all the plugins you use, too).
I'm stuck in the exact same spot. How do you recompile mythtv? I've installed KnoppMyth R5B7. Since I'm using KnoppMyth, maybe I'm out of luck and have to start all over with a different distribution and install Myth from source...?