iMon IR Receiver useable with other remotes

Linux support for Soundgraph iMON USB IR/VFD modules used in Ahanix, Silverstone, Uneed, Accent and other cases.

Moderator: Venky

iMon IR Receiver useable with other remotes

Postby xanium4332 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:10 am

Hi,

Does anyone know if the iMon receiver (in an LC11M) can be used with other remotes. The reason is I *hate* the iMon PAD remote, the mouse thing is just annoying and hard to use, and often transmits signals without any touch of the remote.

I've tried training other remotes using irrecord (which works), however when using the remote the buttons I press are wrong / random. Looking at the lircd.conf created, the trained keys are random, and lots of keys come out with the same codes.

Using remote configs from the Lirc website just don't work. In all, I've tried an LG remote, an xbox 360 media remote, a sky remote, a DViCO Fusion remote, and an xbox 1 remote. All come out with the same problem.

So, has anyone had any success using other remotes with the iMon IR receiver.

Thanks in advance, Xanium

As a side question, lots of the remotes mention "RC6", what is this?
xanium4332

Postby xanium4332 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:11 pm

hmm, I guess not.

I think you can use remotes only with receivers which use the same protocol (the only ones I *know* of are 'RC5' and 'RC6'). I guess what imposes this limitation is the driver, IE the lirc_imon module code. I know that the Windows MCE 2005 remote + receiver use the RC6 protocol (which is what I need), and I think a custom serial receiver can take pretty much any protocol (as there are no restrictions)

If any of this is wrong, please speak up....
xanium4332

Postby nybbler » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:22 pm

Best I can tell, the receiver cannot handle RC-5, RC-6, NEC/Toshiba, or Sony protocols. According to Soundgraph, the newest ones can now handle the Windows MCE remote.

It is possible to train a Harmony remote, though. You need to use raw mode on the harmony. Probably other universal remotes work too. I do not know the protocol used by Soundgraph; it seems likely to be RC-MM, in which case the Phillips Pronto should be able to handle it.
nybbler

Postby ironstorm » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:42 am

I just tried my logitech harmony against it (by using the device menu to emulate all the devices it is programmed for) and it picked up every signal I could throw at it...

Most of the keys generate with multiple code values, so I don't know if there'd be trouble using them...

But the receiver was able to see codes for a MCE computer, Sony TV, Sony Mini Stereo, AV Switcher, Roomba vacuum and Logitech speakers...

Don't know if that helps.

This is with an Silverstone LC20M case and LIRC_IMON drivers from 0.8.0

-G
ironstorm

Postby moosy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:07 pm

I've also had a shot at this. It sure looks like a protocol issue:

Soundgraph: MON PAD remote is using the specific protocol for the enhanced mouse movement and some OEM models can process MCE remote and keyboard.

http://www.soundgraph.com/Eng_/Forum/ForumDetail.aspx?topMenu=4&subMenu=4&writingId=558&TB=T&CurrentPage=1&fcStateId=1&writingLevel=8&search=protocol
moosy

Return to Soundgraph iMON IR/VFD Modules